Founded in 2015, BUILD (Bridging Unity, Inclusion, Leadership & Diversity) is focused on developing diverse talent that reflects our company’s global consumer base. This summer, BUILD provided Externs the opportunity to learn about Whirlpool Corporation, the Leadership Development Programs, and the St. Joseph/Benton Harbor, Michigan area through a week-long immersion program. Externs hailed from all over the country including California, North Carolina, New Jersey, Texas, Iowa, and the Midwest.
By the numbers:
- 356 Applicants
- 23 selected to be Whirlpool Corporation Externs
- 65% of Externs were female
- 82% of Externs were an underrepresented minority group (African American, Asian, Hispanic/Latino)
Externs participated in one of the following Whirlpool programs:
- Whirlpool Engineering Rotational Leadership Development (WERLD)
- Manufacturing Leadership Development Program (MLDP)
- Global Supply Chain Leadership Development Program (GSCLDP)
- Finance Development Program (FDP)
- Real Whirled Sales Immersion Program
Offers were/will be extended to 16 out of 23 Externs.
“The one-on-one mentors were my favorite part of the Externship. Not only was it really cool to see first-hand the day to day operations of a Whirlpool employee; but also getting matched with a mentor so similar to me with similar background and interests was really cool to see because it showed that I had a place at Whirlpool.”
“My favorite part was exploring the Global Consumer Design building because it really helped me connect to the Whirlpool products. As a person in finance, I assumed that I would not feel a very deep connection to the products that Whirlpool makes, but the GCD helped me get a feel for that. It was also amazing to see the dedication and pride that all of the employees have for the products.”
“Interacting with other students from different schools, the group activities and interactive activities were my favorite part. I loved the hands on activities and the opportunity to talk to professionals within my area of interest.”