Employee engagement results and action plan
In 2022, our employee engagement approach is a continuous listening strategy. This approach enables us to gather employee feedback at various points throughout the employment life cycle through Global Onboarding Surveys, Exit Surveys and quarterly Engagement Pulses.
Our quarterly Engagement Pulse enables people leaders to have timely access to their team’s feedback through the implementation of an easy-to-navigate, intuitive online dashboard. People leaders are encouraged to understand the feedback, hold collaborative team discussions and take focused actions to create positive change.
Talent recruitment and retention
Whirlpool Corp.’s Talent Acquisition team enables our business by finding diverse talent with the skills and experiences needed to lead both today and tomorrow. In 2022, we launched several new initiatives, including a global Employee Value Proposition (EVP) to help us attract the best talent from across the globe.
We provide a robust total rewards package, including competitive pay and benefits as well as learning and career development opportunities. Our I&D strategy focuses on building a culture in which every employee feels welcomed, valued, respected and heard.
Our performance management system, Everyday Performance Excellence (EPE) focuses on both the “what” and “how” of performance. Employees define objectives in each of four performance categories (Business Performance, Strategic/Project Impact, Organization and Talent, and My Leadership and Values).
EPE empowers employees to plan their career development with the help of their people leaders, and we strongly support our employees’ long-term goals. We provide leadership development opportunities for leaders at all levels, from first-time people leaders through executives.
Benefit disclosure enhancements
In 2022, several enhancements were made to clarify new or existing benefits for our employees:
Minimum number of days for paid sick leave for exempt employees
- Exempt employees receive unlimited sick days
- Under Short Term Disability (STD), exempt employees receive 100% of salary for up to 26 weeks
Minimum number of days for Paid Time Off (PTO)/paid vacation for exempt employees
- Vacation is based on years of service
Weeks of paid parental leave for maternity and paternity in the U.S.
- Exempt employees may receive up to 14 weeks of paid time off for parental leave. This time off is a combination of STD, Caregiver and Parental leave for Primary Caregivers.
- For Exempt Secondary Caregivers, employees may take up to six weeks of PTO (combination of Parental and Caregiver leave)
Backup dependent care services in the U.S.
- In our global headquarters of Benton Harbor, Michigan, the company offers on-site childcare at “The Eddy,” along with a supplement to eligible employees based on income thresholds.
- In addition, Whirlpool Corp. offers Bright Horizons, which is a vendor support tool that helps employees find discounted savings on childcare and tutoring for their dependents at no cost.
Training and Development
Leaders Teaching Leaders
Development of leadership acumen within Whirlpool Corp. is critical to ensuring People Leaders at all levels are competent and confident in their ability to bring out the best in our people.
We believe in “Leaders Teaching Leaders” where our existing senior leaders are expected to step up and embrace their role in developing our next generation of leaders. As a result, all of our formal leadership development programs are internally designed and facilitated by Whirlpool Corp. leaders themselves. The benefits of this strategy are multi-fold—Our senior leaders grow continually by playing the role of teachers, our next-level leaders learn from their role models’ personal experiences and in turn, our organization builds a leadership engine. A strong leadership culture has been the foundation of our success for the past 111 years, and it won't be different moving forward.
A highly customized experiential learning opportunity for executive-level leaders. Facilitated by our CEO, Marc Bitzer, Executive Committee Members, and members of our Board of Directors, this program aims to “immerse” the senior leaders into Our Leadership Model and Values, through exercises requiring deep reflection and dialogue.
Essentials of People Leadership
A unique, action learning experience designed for new people leaders. This program focuses on building the foundational people leadership skills needed to live out our leadership model from the very beginning through self-discovery activities, facilitated dialogue sessions with business leaders and coaching.
220,207 LinkedIn videos viewed
8,725 hours viewed
WeLEARN + LinkedIn Learning partnership
All global salaried employees have access to Whirlpool Every Day Learning (WeLEARN), our digital learning platform. WeLEARN provides a personalized learning experience that allows employees to access learning when and where they need it, collaborate with others who share similar interests through social learning groups, and build skills for today and tomorrow. In 2022, we added close to 20,000 new learning courses through LinkedIn Learning and we added over 200 curated learning pathways, with content tied to building specific skills and capabilities, providing greater opportunities for learners to find meaningful, relevant content to fuel their professional and personal growth.
Early career leadership development programs and internship programs
All around the globe, Whirlpool Corp. offers development, internship and apprentice programs designed to provide high-potential early career talent with the opportunity to set a solid foundation for an accelerated career path. Participants are provided with both functional and technical training to support their onboarding and acceleration in the program, as well as leadership development and soft skill curriculum. With dedicated executives as sponsors of the programs, robust roles and a strong alumni community, each program is designed to prepare individuals to become exceptional future leaders at the company.
Manufacturing People Development pillar
In our manufacturing sites, the WCM methodology includes the People Development pillar, which is focused on employee development and training. A function of the People Development pillar in each operation is to establish and manage a training matrix to identify training requirements (regulatory, legal or other) for site personnel. To promote compliance with these requirements, each of our operations is audited periodically by an external third party to confirm execution. Competency checks as part of the WCM methodology confirm understanding and learning on the part of affected employees.
We support the personal development of our employees through a continuous learning journey. In addition to the learning resources that can be accessed at any time through WeLEARN and other employer-sponsored training, employees may also be eligible to participate in the Educational Reimbursement program. This program provides reimbursement to eligible employees for accredited programs in pursuit of associate, undergraduate or graduate degrees. Specific criteria for eligibility differ by region, but the overall goal of these programs is to provide assistance to employees seeking to further their own development and improve job skills.
Pay and Equal Remuneration
Building competitive compensation programs for sustainable value
Whirlpool Corp.’s compensation programs are designed to support our focus on creating sustainable value for all our stakeholders. Our objective is to provide a total compensation opportunity that is competitive with external market practices, considers internal equity and provides a true pay-for-performance approach. We evaluate external market competitiveness and internal equity at least annually, and our actual pay outcomes have been demonstrated to align with the performance results that we have delivered.
2022 progress on pay equity
External market competitiveness review
- Annually—including in 2022—we compare all of our jobs against external market compensation survey data. This is designed to ensure that we are providing compensation opportunities that are competitive with the external marketplace.
Internal pay equity review
- We completed our 2022 pay equity practices review in Q4, examining pay between employees of different gender and racial demographics doing similar work. Our 2022 pay equity review—completed by an external law firm—found zero instances of systemic issues and zero individual cases that required additional research. We intend to continue to engage in this pay practice review process on a regular basis in an effort to uphold our compensation principles and our commitment to equity.
Pay vs Performance analysis
- We have built our Executive Compensation programs around a strong Pay-for-Performance philosophy. Over 91% of our CEO’s target pay—and over 80% for our other Named Executive Officers (NEOs)—is directly tied to performance metrics that drive shareholder value creation. As required per the new rule released in late 2022 by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), we provided a three-year tabular disclosure of compensation actually paid to our CEO and our other four NEOs compared to certain company performance measures.
Freedom of association
Whirlpool Corp. respects the rights of our employees to associate with whom they choose. We respect the right of employees to join or not join an independent trade union and will bargain in good faith with these associations when they are properly elected. We estimate that, during 2022, 55% of our hourly employees globally were covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Compensation philosophy and policies
Whirlpool Corp. is dedicated to achieving global leadership in all of our product categories and to always delivering superior and sustainable value for shareholders and other stakeholders. To achieve our objectives, we manage a pay-for-performance compensation philosophy based upon the following guiding principles:
- Compensation should be incentive-driven with a focus on both short-term and long-term results
- A significant portion of pay should be performance-based, with the portion varying in direct relation to an executive’s level of responsibility
- Components of compensation should be linked to the drivers of sustainable shareholder value over the long-term
- Compensation should be tied to both business results and individual performance
Each member of our Executive Committee has elements of our environmental, social and governance (ESG) priorities included in their individual objectives for the purposes of individual performance ratings, which influence each executive’s incentive compensation.