Free and Fair TradeEnabling healthy competition
Taking A Stand When It Matters Most
We believe competition is healthy and breeds innovation. That’s why we support free and fair trade and promote an open global trading system that benefits our consumers, employees and the entire home appliance industry. Enforcing open, rules-based trade policies ensures the highest level of investment, innovation and choice for consumers around the world. Supporting free and fair trade increases industry access and incentivizes innovation globally, helping us to protect jobs and ensure continued innovation and investment in the appliance industry.
FAIR AND FREE TRADE CASES
Prior: Large Residential Washer Cases 2015-2017
- December 16, 2015 – Filed antidumping case against Samsung and LG
- July 20, 2016 — U.S. Department of Commerce Again Finds That Samsung and LG Dumped Washers Into the United States
- Dec 9, 2016 — U.S. Government confirms that Samsung and LG dumped washers into the United States, reports Whirlpool Corporation
- Jan 10, 2017 — For the second time, Samsung and LG found guilty of unlawful trade practices that hurt U.S. appliance industry workers
Prior: Large Residential Washer Cases 2011-2013
- December 2011 – Filed antidumping and subsidy cases against foreign producers – Including Samsung and LG
- December 2012 – Whirlpool Corporation wins U.S. Department of Commerce ruling that dumping occurred and that South Korea provided unlawful subsidies — Won!
- January 2013 – U.S. International Trade Commission unanimously confirms dumped and subsidized imports caused material injury to U.S. manufacturing and workers — Won!
- February 2013 – Final dumping fees put in place
Invested in Our Communities
The future belongs to those who build it
It’s our home, our communities, our neighbors. We are investing in our roots by creating jobs, investing in our people and supporting our communities. It’s the right thing to do and it’s the smart thing to do. We believe great communities are the foundation of great business, and we know this matters to our consumers. In the U.S., for example, where our company started more than a century ago, across our product categories more than 80 percent of what is sold in the U.S. is assembled in the U.S. Plus, we have 22,000 U.S. employees, 15,000 of whom work in one of our nine manufacturing sites. Learn more about our U.S. investments below.
We think this community focus is important because the people who make our appliances are also the people who use our appliances. To us, investing in our communities isn’t a gamble. It’s a down payment on our future.
- Nine U.S. manufacturing facilities
- 4,000 high-tech employees at Michigan-based global headquarters
- $1.4+ billion invested in U.S. facilities since 2010
INVESTING IN THE U.S.
- Of the products we make, more than 80% of those sold in the U.S. are assembled in the U.S.
- More appliance manufacturing employees in the U.S. than any of our major competitors
- 4,900 direct and indirect U.S.-based suppliers
- $5B+/year spent with U.S. suppliers
- $10M+/year employee training
- $1.1B+ in capital and R&D globally
- 100% U.S. and Canada market call center employees based in U.S.
- $75M+ in cash and in-kind donations to U.S.-based nonprofit organizations since 2009
INVESTING IN OUR COMMUNITIES
We partner with community organizations, our employees and brands to support good causes that create collective community impact where our employees and customers live. In addition, globally our employees volunteer 430,000 hours every year to support our signature charities and community non-profit organizations.
- Whirlpool brand donates a range and refrigerator to every Habitat for Humanity home built in the U.S. plus financial support for home builds
- Maytag brand has provided $5.5 million in grants since 2010 through the Maytag Dependable Club Awards for the Boys and Girls Clubs of America
- KitchenAid brand, through its Cook for the Cure program, has raised more than $10 million since 2001 for Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Since 2006: $77+ million cash and in-kind donations to U.S.-based nonprofits
- Whirlpool Veterans Association works to create a veteran friendly workplace by recruiting, onboarding and coaching to retain veteran employees
- Whirlpool Corporation has received perfect score on Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index for 13th consecutive year
- American Cancer Society Hope Lodges are supported with appliances from Whirlpool Corporation
YOU INSPIRE OUR PRODUCT INNOVATIONS
Dave Szczupak on Innovation
Casey Tubman on Innovation
National Manufacturing Day
Inspiring Moments that Matter in Manufacturing
Greenville Color Innovation
See why the iconic KitchenAid stand mixer has been a staple in homes since 1919